Hello, everyone! Are you hungry? I am… always! Lately, I’ve been really craving fresh vegetables. Cucumbers, carrots, bell peppers, onions, eggplants, and mushrooms! Mother Earth’s beautiful abundance of food can be found in all sorts of shapes, sizes, tastes and textures. Because there are just so many ways to eat green, we decided to share a few of our favorite recipes. Check them out below and let us know what your favorite recipe is in the comment section below. Come on – let’s grub!
• 1 block (16 ounces) of organic extra-firm tofu
• 2 tablespoon sunflower oil (more if needed)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons or to taste the seasoning salt of your choice- I use my homemade adobo- see below for the recipe
• 1/2 cup (approximately) nutritional yeast (which is super delicious, vegan, has a cheesy flavor and is rich in vitamin B-12, and provides 6 grams of protein per serving)
• Optional pinch of sage
• Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
• Drain the tofu and use your palms to gently squeeze out some of the water.
• Slice the extra firm tofu into widthwise into roughly 8 even slabs
• Put the oil in a shallow dish.
• In a different shallow dish, mix the nutritional yeast and seasonings.
• Dip each slab of tofu first in oil and then in brewers nutritional yeast.
• Place in single layer on baking sheet and bake until firm about 50 minutes.
• Turn pieces over halfway through cooking for crispier pieces.
Homemade Adobo Seasoning
• 2 tablespoons salt
• 1 tablespoon paprika
• 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
• 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
• 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• In a bowl, stir together the salt, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder. Store in a sealed jar in a cool, dry place.
Hannah’s Cucumber Salad
- In tightly covered container, shake remaining ingredients except dill weed. Pour over cucumbers. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours to blend flavors.
- Drain cucumbers. Sprinkle with dill weed. Store covered in refrigerator.