Can you really believe it’s mid-September? It seems like only a couple weeks ago, I was putting my boots and scarves away, just to pull out my swimsuit and sunhat. Although it’s a bittersweet goodbye to summer, we can’t help but get giddy for fall! Fall means back to school and volleyball games, the smell of ripening orchards, pumpkins, and scarecrows, and all things cozy! To kick off this fall season with a bang we made a list of our team’s favorite fall recipes!
• 2 cups raw pumpkin seeds
• 1-3 T Braggs liquid amino acids or GF tamarin or soy sauce
• 1-2 T chili powder
On medium heat in a large cast iron saute pan, roast pumpkin seeds until they are almost all popped. Stir often to avoid scorching. Pour in a couple of tablespoons of Braggs or tamari. Stir until liquid is evaporated. Sprinkle in chili powder. Turn off heat. Blend well. Remove from heat. Let cool. Enjoy!
P.S. Besides being a great healthy snack that people love, these pumpkin seeds make wonderful gluten-free croutons! They are also super tasty in soup.
Hannah’s Hot Buttered Rum (Vegan)
(For 1 serving)
• 1 1/2 oz Earth Balance vegan buttery spread
• 1 1/4 oz simple syrup (1:1 organic raw cane sugar to water)
• A pinch of ground clove, nutmeg & sea salt
• 2 pinches of organic ground cinnamon
• 1 1/4 oz Blackwell Jamaican Rum (if 21+)
• 1/4 oz Smith & Cross rum or organic rum
• 4 oz hot organic apple cider
Heat up to slowly melt butter and add simple syrup and spices. Now, add in the rums and apple cider. Last, pour into a heat-resistant glass.
Emory’s Vegan Chili
• Bell Peppers
• Chili Powder
• Chopped Tomatoes
• Hot Sauce
Add onions, bell peppers, and garlic; sauté until onions soften, about 10 minutes. Mix in chili powder, oregano, cumin, and cayenne; stir 2 minutes. Mix in beans, 1/2 cup reserved bean liquid, and tomato sauce. Bring chili to boil, stirring occasionally.
Aimee’s Pumpkin Pie (This can be found at It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken.com)
- 1¾ Cups or 1 14 oz Can Pureed Pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ¼ Cup Maple Syrup
- ½ CupOrganic Brown Sugar
- ¾ Cup Full Fat Organic Canned Coconut Milk (stirred well before measuring)
- 4 Tablespoons Organic Cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- ½ teaspoon Organic Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1 Recipe Easy Vegan Pie Crust or 1 Store Bought Pie Crust (check ingredients to make sure it is vegan) *Do not precook the pie crust
Preheat your oven to 350F (180C). Add all of the ingredients: the pureed pumpkin, maple syrup, brown sugar, coconut milk, cornstarch, salt, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and vanilla extract to a blender or a large bowl. Mix well.Pour the pumpkin mixture into the uncooked pie crust. Spread evenly.Bake for 60 minutes. When you remove it from the oven, the edges might be slightly cracked and the middle will still look very wobbly. Let cool, and chill in fridge for a minimum of 4 hours until set, or overnight which is best.